Last Thanksgiving

11:04 PM





Over the last three years, I've been attempting to drop 20 pounds.  Before that, I had been a devotee of Atkins for at least 7 years.  I was really happy with my weight, and I always felt that I was living a lifestyle not following a diet.  Soon after I started dating my husband, I started to transition to a more "balanced" diet, eating more complex carbs including whole grain bread and brown rice.  I almost instantly began gaining weight.  Since I hadn't really been concerned with portion control while on Atkins, I quickly realized that I had no idea of proper proportions, and I focused on portion control and limiting between meal eating.  And I gained even more weight.  Starting to feel frustrated, I started exploring diets and eating plans and fit more routine exercise into my schedule.

I have been able to maintain my weight over the last few years, but I've never been able to lose that 20 pounds,  so prior to leaving for France, I had decided to go back to Atkins when we returned.  Saying goodbye to bread would be tough, but with low carb options out on the market, I was hoping to get back into the swing of things soon with plates that look more like this than I'm used to anymore.   Ironically, this was my thanksgiving dinner in 2012.  No potatoes, yams, or gravy.

Armed with my resolve, we set off for France where I was determined to eat every piece of cheese and macaroon in sight.  And I did with no regrets.  For the first week back, I had unbelievable jet lag and just could not adjust, so I didn't spend a lot of my time when I was awake thinking about my diet.  This year for Thanksgiving I didn't really worry about what went onto my plate.  And on Friday, finally feeling back to myself and having time to think after unpacking, I thought about the women I had seen in France.

Everyone eats much smaller meals than we are used to in America, and they eat everything.  People are not ashamed to eat the way we seem to be here.  Eating is a very social and entertaining thing for them. So Friday I made an early resolution.  For a time I'm going to just try everything in moderation, and we'll see how that goes.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook