Chocolate Soup

9:18 PM


This post begins with a little bit of frustration.  Love it when I type out a post, swear that I hit the save button, walk away to do something, and come back to find no post.  Anywhere.  Okay - moving on.

When I was growing up, we used to go to this small restaurant sometimes in San Luis Obispo.  Of course, I can't remember the name of the restaurant, what street it was on, or even really what kind of food they served.  But I've remembered for years that this was the place to go to have chocolate soup.  Not chocolate pudding and not hot chocolate, chocolate soup was served warm in a soup bowl, had the consistency of a very thick potato soup (without the chunky things), and, to be honest, tasted just like a bowl of warm chocolate pudding.  Sometimes on cold nights, I almost break down and make chocolate pudding just to serve it warm before it congeals.

One night when the family went out to one of our favorite spots in Pasadena, Mi Piace, to my delight they had chocolate soup on the dessert menu.  After I ordered it, I worried that it would be nothing like what I remembered.  You know when you think about something from your childhood, and it bears no resemblance in adulthood?  When it arrived at the table, it was exactly as I remembered it.  Since then, I keep thinking about it even more than I did before.  So yesterday I went on a hunt for the recipe.  None of my cookbooks at home had anything vaguely similar, so I went to the old faithful FoodNetwork.com and found this recipe from George Duran.


Unfortunately, I only had semi-sweet chocolate in the house, so it wasn't as dark as I would have liked it, but it had the right flavor, texture and smooth creaminess.  Now that I know how to make it, this could be really dangerous.

You Might Also Like

13 comments

  1. Mmmmm! I can almost smell it ... Really dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked at the soup while at Poly. Would you like to know how is was really made? Because you're working waaayyyyy too hard at it. 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. where's that recipe? :D

      Delete
    2. Yes I would. I used to go to that restaurant

      Delete
    3. Aaarrrgh where did you go????

      Delete
    4. I would love to know. As I recall hot fudge, chocolate cake, chocolate pudding (Warm) more fudge and whipped cream. Please correct my memory!

      Delete
  3. It was on Morro Street and the restaurant was named Chocolate Soup.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went as a child in the 80's often, it was in a huge bowl shaped glass and served really hot.
    Great memories and I can't believe it didn't survive :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother and I would often go to Chocolate Soup and then walk along the river afterwards talking.... I miss those days! That was about 30 years ago now and still feels like yesterday...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It wasn’t just soup, it had a large crumb square of chocolate cake, whipped cream and slivered almonds as well…

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved that place! I used to go back in the 80's and have a bowl of soup and a slice of their homemade bread. Never had the chocolate soup for some reason but I do remember the restaurant being very busy with lots of diners. Too bad it closed. Everything was so good.

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook