Where in the World is Pasadena?

4:48 PM

The view of Downtown Los Angeles from the north end of Pasadena on a hazy day

This post started with the idea of being an introduction into my town, but as I started thinking about all of the opportunities I've had to share my town with people, a pet peeve reared its ugly head.  My post then turned into a rant, but half way through writing it, I adjusted my thoughts, so now you are left with the remnants.

The hub and a friend in Old Town in front of Il Fornaio at Christmas

I really like living in Pasadena.  As I started writing, I realized that I've really liked living most of the places where I've lived.  I was not one of those kids who couldn't wait to grow up and move away from wherever they had spent their lives.  We had moved a few times while I was growing up, and I was more focused as an adult on finding my home and staying there.  I've lived in this area for the last 15 years, and it's where I was actually born.  It's a city but a small city, which doesn't feel incredibly urban.  It's close to downtown, the beach, the mountains, and the desert.  There are schools, museums, restaurants, and recreation.  There are very few things that I need that make me travel to another area.


Having the Rose Parade and Bowl in our city is always a way to relate to people about our home.  If they don't know where Pasadena is on the map, they at least have a point of reference having watched the parade or the game at some point.  Our backyard literally backs up to the float viewing area, which is kept open for a day or two after the parade.  My least favorite part of the spectacle is that someone from the committee came up with the great idea to play music over loud speakers for the visitors.  At least there is calm and quiet every evening after dark.

 The view over my backyard fence on New Year's Day 2013

 We aren't allowed to park in front of our houses from Dec. 31 to Jan. 2 to make sure there is room for emergency vehicles

 Our corner

We get the noise, but our neighbors on this side of the barricades have to deal with all the crowds parking in front of their houses and blocking their driveways.  We might have it easier; at least our street has zero traffic for a few days.  This nice young man has to stand here and move the barriers all day for people like me who have a pass into the area.  

We are planning on moving again in the next few years (probably as soon as I finally get the last box emptied from our last move), and we'll definitely do a better job of moving away from the parade route.  We may have to go away for New Year's this year to avoid the music.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook